Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Rogue 10.27

I spent a few hours on the Rogue this past Saturday fishing for some salmon.
It was a really nice day for fishing, overcast mid 50's although it was a bit windy.
I got on the river about 1p and went down stream. at first I just started to fish obvious holding water and behind boulders. Nothing.
I moved further down stream and spotted some salmon hanging out. I was fishing C&D with a egg fly and a green caddis. They were not interested in what I had to offer. I switched up egg colors and tried a few different nymphs. I have learned that either I am not fishing the C&D method right or I just don't like that it. I kept getting hung up on the rocks on the bottom of the stream, I was changing weight and it just seemed like I couldn't get it right.
As I kept moving down stream, I ran into a half dozen fish holding on a redd. I abandoned the C&D and tied on a streamer and fished that and the salmon were interested. I ended up hook 2 of them hogs with no luck hauling them in.
I promised the wife that I would be home around 6p so I hiked back to the car.

It was a great day on the water, it was much needed.

Cheers~

jvk

7 comments:

thekooiet said...

Now at least you'll have one person who will leave comments. ;)

thekooiet said...

"I promised the wife."

Gee thanks.

thekooiet said...

Tag, you're it.

http://thekooiet.blogspot.com/

KatieKate said...

Jeff.
Move to Belding.
We have free land for you.
I'll give you a chicken of your very own.

-God

thekooiet said...

New post dear.

God is never wrong.

KatieKate said...

Jeff.
I feel like you're not listening to me.

-God.

2wildtrout said...

JVK has left a new comment on your post "What's in your Fly Box?":

I have never read John Gierach before. He has so many titles, where should I start?
I love keeping it simple. I like the idea of taking only what you need and not what is going to weigh you down and become a burden.
I really connect with your "All I need" post as well. "Travel light, Play hard, Live simply" that is great.
I am in the process of deciding whether to buy the mesh master vest or go with the Fishpond San Juan vertical chest pack, but can't make up my mind. I typically fish for half day stints and can cram everything into my watermaster chest pocket and a lanyard, but when it comes to full day outings I need to carry more. Do you have any words of advice?

Thanks much.
Cheers~


Hello Jeff,

I highly recommend Trout Bum by Gierach. It's hands down the Classic. Start there and I am confident that you will want to read his other books.


I would recommend the new Double Haul coming out in a few months. It is so versatile. 2 bags for the price of one. You get a chest pack and a hip pack. I used to primarily use the mesh master vest but now only use the new double haul. Comes highly recommended. check out wayupstream's post on the new item : http://www.wayupstream.com/2007/12/double-haul_01.html

You can also see it in action on a couple of pics in my Bishop post.

Thanks for your comments.

Live simply.
rj